Monday, February 22, 2010

COP ROCK: An Idea Who's Time Has Come

Da Vinci's helicopter. Pop rocks. Washing your hands after pooping. All ideas that were way ahead of their time.

Another idea that may have been so ahead of its time that perhaps you haven't even heard of it was a little show called...

COP ROCK. Imagine the passion of the Australian recording of Jesus Christ Superstar the grit of "NYPD Blue" and the hairdos of "My Two Dads" -this is the world inhabited by COP ROCK.

As a student of musical theatre at Syracuse University's most prestigious, School of Elocution, I learned that the entire reason for singing and dancing in musicals is that the emotion is so heightened that the only possible outlet for this emotion is to express one's self through heavily choreographed vocal stylings and fancy footwork. [Editorial: The more I think about this axiom, the more I find it absolutely ridiculous -but that's neither here nor there now because it is that very principle that is the linchpin of this entire post, so just work with me here, people. ]

Well, it doesn't get much more heightened than the daily lives of New York policemen in the '90's, pal. One need only hear sarge's warning to get a sense of just what the stakes are in this world, the world of COP ROCK.



Yeah, motherfucker you heard right: A 187 at the 7-11. Is that real enough for you? No? How's about baby trafficking, bub?



"I'll have your baby for you." I genuinely hope he's speaking metaphorically because if I pay eleven grand and my baby is born with a widows peak I am going to be very pissed off.

For as edgy and raw as this show clearly is, there is an underlying message of hope. A hope that a government of the people, for the people might relentlessly pursue crime and injustice to cathartically achieve that Great Society we all deserve.



Unfortunately for all of us, COP ROCK was canceled after only a single season -the victim of a public that couldn't fully understand the majesty of Monster Ballads and mustaches. I'd like to think that some (20) years later in the age of "Chicago" and "Glee" we might be open to more diverse entertainments. Which is why I'm calling upon each of you to sign this petition to encourage 20th Century Fox to release COP ROCK on DVD, and open a new generation of theatre trash to the ecstasy of riffing cops and perps.

And to all of you out there who think me insincere, and see this call to action as simply an excuse to post cheesy COP ROCK YouTube clips, well, I've got one word for you.



Quitcherbitchin.

2 comments:

Dell Yount said...

Everybody deserves a little "Tenderness."

Anonymous said...

I don't see your signature! ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails