Sunday, February 11, 2007

Verbal OCD

I've noticed more and more that I have what must be some form of verbal OCD. Like most people with musical backgrounds, I have had these same feelings about music for some time. A song will get caught in my head and I will just keep repeating the refrain over and over until another one pops into my consciousness. However, now I'm finding this to be the case with certain catch phrases too.

I feel like this might be a disease. Maybe. Perhaps. I don't really know. As regular readers already know, I make a lot of shit up. Lately, words or made up turns of phrase have dictated my verbal lexicon. On average, these little verbal ticks last about a week and then I'm on to another. Some of the latest greatest hits have included:

"The cat's pajamas" - This is the current pick of the week. I use to describe just about anything that I enjoy from rain boots to people with exceptional haircuts. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the 30's-style jargon, like "ya got moxie kid" or "I like the cut of your jibe". Or perhaps its the idea of a cat wearing footed pajamas. Which would be pretty funny in and of itself because I do HATE cats and would like to see an unhappy cat wearing pajamas. What else do we have..

"Savvy" - I really love this word. It just gives you this sense of in-the-know, you know? Like someone who knows secrets or something. Maybe someone who works for the CIA or used to work for the CIA and could still have you killed and make it look like an accident (what?). Last week, I couldn't stop saying this word. You see, this is where the OCD kicks in: after a while, it got to the point where I was using savvy to describe things that weren't savvy at all, like peanut butter or dish soap. Luckily, cat's pajamas came along when it did.

"Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes" - I think people are funny...and ridiculous. One of my favorite pastimes as I walk the streets of this fair city is eavesdropping on other people's conversations. One of my primary targets are business people. There is an obscene amount of bullshit that business people sincerely say to one other. I find this hilarious, so one day I decided to create my own business catch phrase. Next thing I know, everything is being run up the flagpole and I'm using the expression for real. Thanks, verbal OCD.

"It's what I've got to do!"
- I have really got a good feeling about this one. It really just started late last week. Initially, it began in a genuine fit of passion as I was putting a project together, but now I feel that it might have become snagged in my verbal snare. Scenarios such as, "I'm going to go grab some coffee -IT'S WHAT I'VE GOT TO DO!" Have recently frightened friends and co-workers alike on a semi-consistent basis.


Could this be a disease or am I just simply obnoxious? Most people, will probably say I'm just obnoxious. These people are what I call "assholes" another little turn of phrase I created. In the meantime, I'm going to get on the information superhighway and do some research. Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this little mystery of the mind.

1 comment:

Billy Clark Taylor said...

Savvy. That's all I'm sayin'...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails