Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Summer Thoughts

So it has been quite some time since my last posting of ought five, but believe it or not I've had a lot of thoughts. Some of them include:

DRIP, DRIP, DROP....
One of the things that have to make you laugh or you'll go screaming for the hills - the mysterious drops of water that descend from high above the buildings of New York. Now, I know what you're going to say, "oh Patrick, don't be a dipshit. That is just condensation from air conditioners dropping down on your pretty little head." ....in most cases I would say you are right. As I walk around most neighborhoods, I find myself confident that this drops are just the efforts of hard working A/C trying to make local apartments a cooler place to live. It's the shadier neighborhoods such as the underdeveloped Garment District that have me on pins and needles. One day while walking home, I received on my head what can only be described as at least a watercooler cup's worth of fluid come pouring on my head. Upon receipt of this delivery my first reaction was to touch it and smell it. Fortunately, I concluded that the scent of the fluid was neither bodily waste or toxic refuse. Other than that, I was not able to identify it. I'm not gonna lie, it really put a damper on my day. What was that fluid? Has my use of fluid bothered anyone else in the same way that it has bothered me? There's no resolution to this story, just watch out for that stuff...that's all I'm sayin.

WHY I'M AN ASSHOLE
Well this topic could really go on for sometime and I'm sure that people could contribute their own features. Despite this, I am going to focus on the fact I can't stop quoting Anchorman. Namely, the part of the movie where Mr. Burgandy informs Christina Applegate's character that he is, "kind of a big deal" and that "people know me". For some reason this tickles my fancy to no end and has been implemented into my unique form of verbal OCD where I can't stop saying it. It has made it to the point where upon meeting new people at parties and the like, it is really only a matter of time until I saddle up next to new persons' and inform them with a belch that "I'm kind of a big deal" while friends laugh uncomfortably and attempt to disguise involuntary cringing. I'm seeking help so that I will continue to be invited to functions and salvage my remaining relationships.

IF YOU WERE A PIE WHAT KIND OF PIE WOULD YOU BE? AND WHY?
It's a harder question to answer than you would think. Oh, sure you can shout out any 'ol pie, but its the 'why' that gets me every time.

SEAT OF THE SOUL
A friend of mine once gave me this book Seat of the Soul, upon the recommendation of another friend and while most of the principles make sense I find them a little too touchy feely for everyday applications. One of the points in the book outlined that reconnecting with nature is essential to the spiritual life of people. As a regular park walker, I've known this to be true for sometime. However, I just returned from doing a show in West Virginia [insert lack of teeth/in-breeding/Deliverence joke here] and it was remarkably refreshing. Our housing aptly named the Ridge was set in a ridge. Looking out my window I saw the rolling hills and mountains of West Virginia. It was truly remarkable. Almost every morning it rained and there is nothing like waking up to a gentle rain. There was also a rooster somewhere that would crow around 9am. I never figured out where that thing was, but I found it charming. It was a perfectly envigorating little break to relax in very picturesque surroundings. --You know actually I think that get in touch with nature thing was from Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: And it's all Small Stuff. Whatever, it was a refreshing couple of weeks.

MORE TO COME
Life has been very crazy over the past few months, but I am so happy to be here in the city surrounded by friends and to have such a supportive family. If I have learned anything recently it is always, always, always wear sunscreen:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails